Keep Your Pets Away From These Houseplants
Sun, April 18, 2021

Keep Your Pets Away From These Houseplants

Taking care of our pets doesn’t just mean giving them shelter and food. It is also part of our responsibility as good pet owners to make sure that they will be safe at all times / Photo by: Konstantin Aksenov via 123RF

 

Taking care of our pets doesn’t just mean giving them shelter and food. It is also part of our responsibility as good pet owners to make sure that they will be safe at all times, away from risky situations as well as harmful objects around them. Unfortunately, some of these things can be found right in our own backyard while some can be rare and exotic that we may not be aware of we actually have lying around the house. 

In an article published by Mandy Can U Dig It, a website created to provide useful information about gardening, it was mentioned that a survey among 2,000 cat and dog owners revealed that eight percent of these pets in Britain have inadvertently swallowed poisonous plants or flowers. Sadly, 15 percent of them died. 

This is why pet owners should be more aware of which plants can be poisonous to their pets. Reports said that one in every three pet owners admitted that they have no idea if the plants in their garden are toxic or not. It is also the same number of people who are unable to name any symptom of poisoning in their pets. Plants have different toxicity levels, according to Southlands Sun, a website that provides community news for the suburbs south of Durban in South Africa, and here are some of the more common plants kept in the backyard or garden that are harmful to pets.

 

Peace Lilies

These beautiful flowering houseplants with their dark leaves and white flowers keep a dark secret. The Spruce, a website that provides information about home decor, home repair, and pets, stated in an article that these low-maintenance indoor plants are toxic to humans and pets if consumed. It was also mentioned that any members of the lily family are poisonous to cats, which is why these should be kept out of reach of pets and small children all the time.

 

Daffodils 

Daffodils might cause nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, and abdominal pain when ingested. Even a small portion of its bulb can cause irritation of the mouth and make the stomach feel worse.

Poison Control, a website that provides information about different toxic substances, shared that the symptoms caused by eating a bulb of daffodils are usually not life-threatening and these can be cured within a few hours. These bright and fragrant flowers should also be kept away from children because it can cause skin irritation upon contact with the skin or severe burning when swallowed. 

Daffodils might cause nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, and abdominal pain when ingested. Even a small portion of its bulb can cause irritation of the mouth and make the stomach feel worse / Photo by: Viktor Bondar via 123RF

 

Sago Palm

This indoor plant is helpful in keeping air quality inside the house much better. Its spiky appearance also makes it a great addition in creating a unique decoration inside the house as it complements the furniture. However, sago palms also have a built-in and ancient defense mechanism that can cause pets to experience vomiting, diarrhea, and liver failure when eaten. 

The Spruce suggested keeping these plants away from children and pets who might chew these without knowing how toxic it could be.

 

Devil’s Ivy

Also known as pothos, devil’s ivy is a common houseplant and is usually called “assorted foliage” in garden centers. If a dog happens to eat a part of the plant, it will paw at its mouth and face. The dog will also whine, foam, vomit, and cough endlessly. 

Wag Walking, a website that provides articles about dogs, said that aside from these, the devil’s ivy poison could make it hard for the dog to breathe, which is why it is essential to get your pet to the veterinarian or animal clinic right away. A charcoal lavage can also be used to get rid of the toxins from the dog’s stomach. Activated charcoal is capable of absorbing the remaining toxins that might cause damage to the dog’s system. 

 

Cyclamen

Also known as Persian violet, shooting star, and sowbread, these dark, leafy plants have bright-colored flowers that are the reason why homeowners love to have them inside the house. However, cyclamen should be kept away from the reach of children and pets, as these plants can cause diarrhea and vomiting when consumed. Fortunately, the effects of these plants can be remedied by going to the veterinarian for treatment.

Cyclamen contains triterpenoid saponin that might cause serious toxic reactions, especially to dogs. It can be absorbed quickly into the blood, and its most obvious symptoms are excessive drooling, vomiting, diarrhea, and seizures. You might also notice some signs that involve cardiac involvement like irregular heartbeat, trouble breathing, and collapse. 

Cyclamen contains triterpenoid saponin that might cause serious toxic reactions, especially to dogs / Photo by: Maksim Shebeko via 123RF

 

Also, Insecticides and Pesticides

Mandy Can U Dig It added that other chemicals found in the garden like fertilizers, insecticides, and pesticides can also upset the stomach of your pets or even cause serious gastrointestinal obstruction. It is important not to leave any of these chemicals unattended or exposed because even if their smell usually turns pets away, they can easily get spilled and mix with the soil that your animals love to play with.