Man Died After Eating Very Hot Fish Cake
Wed, April 21, 2021

Man Died After Eating Very Hot Fish Cake

 

A new report from Fox News, an American conservative television news channel, will make you wait for your hot meal to cool down before putting it into your mouth. 

According to the article, a 51-year-old British man died earlier this year after he ate a very hot fish cake. The food was reported so hot that it burned the man’s throat which later resulted in swelling to his airways. This causes him to experience difficulty in breathing. Darren Hickey, who was described by his partner, Neil Parkinson, as a “larger-than-life character” was said to be trying out a fish cake at a wedding venue back on April 4.

 

Photo Credit: SWNS (via Fox News)

 

The pain from the extreme temperature led Hickey, who suffered a stroke before, to immediately seek medical attention at the Urgent Care Ward at Chorley Hospital. It is said that the doctors sent Hickey home with acetaminophen and advised him to return once the pain worsened. Later that evening, Parkinson claimed that he heard Hickey “making noises” and rushed upstairs. 

When he went to see his partner, he found that Hickey was already choking. “He was stood up choking and coughing so I banged his back but then he slid forward onto the floor,” Parkinson said in an interview. Hickey was taken by ambulance to Royal Bolton Hospital, where he was declared dead just after midnight. It is said that his death came roughly 12 hours after he had the fish cake.

 

Photo Credit: SWNS (via Fox News)

 

Bolton Coroner’s Court ruled that the burn that the man suffered from the fish cake caused his throat extreme pain and swelling. The swelling in his airways made it difficult for him to breathe and swallow properly.

Dr. Patrick Waugh, a pathologist who tended to Hickey’s post-mortem, shared that the burns were far enough down the late man’s throat. This means that they would have not have been seen the damage without specialized equipment.