Man Dies After Consuming Hot Fishcake
Sun, April 18, 2021

Man Dies After Consuming Hot Fishcake

 

51-year-old wedding planner Darren Hickey died 12 hours after a chef gave him a fishcake just as he was about to attend a charity meeting at lunchtime on April 4, reports Richard Hartley-Parkinson of the UK’s highest-circulating newspaper Metro. Darren realized something was amiss when the pain intensified, so he went to the Urgent Care Ward At Chorley Hospital. The hospital prescribed him paracetamol and was sent home. 

Darren returned to his home in Bolton, England to rest. His voice box swelled. The wedding planner could neither breathe nor swallow due to the pain and swelling. At 9 pm, his partner Neil Parkinson, 55, heard the 51-year-old choking. Neil recalls, “He shouted so I ran upstairs. He was stood up choking and coughing so I banged his back but then he slid forward onto the floor.” Darren was taken to the hospital and sadly, the damage was “so far down his throat it could not be seen without specialist equipment.” He died after midnight. 

 

Photo Credit: SWNS (via Metro)

 

Acting senior coroner Alan Walsh comments, “He was enormously positive and enormously caring and gave to charity – he was a very generous, caring and compassionate man.” A pathologist stated that Darren’s case was extremely rare, as it is associated with individuals killed in house fires who inhale smoke, which causes their airways to burn. “The patient can appear well, they will be talking to you, but then the swelling starts,” Dr. Patrick Waugh notes. 

 

Photo Credit: SWNS (via Metro)

 

Bolton Coroners’ Court heard a full review of the incident and classified Darren’s cause of death as asphyxiation. Walsh recorded a verdict of the man’s accidental death saying, “This was caused by eating a fishcake, very small and very hot but with catastrophic consequences. I find this an immense tragedy.” According to Neil, Darren was always the center of attention and loved to help other people. 

Seven years ago, Darren suffered a stroke and was confined in the hospital for 18 months. After his release, he spent time involving himself in charity work and was granted the Inspirational Person of Courage Award by the Stroke Association. 

SIMIALR POST